Friday 11 May 2018

Some good advice

A couple of my earlier posts were a little negative: one focusing on a recruiter; the other focusing on a couple of jobs that went a bit weird (although, in both those cases, the recruiters were great).

But there were plenty of positive experiences in my last job hunt.

One was some advice I got from a recruiter. He was referred to me by a friend - who used him to find staff for his business. He was working in IT, but didn't have anything that suited me. Nonetheless, he took some time to meet with me. In that meeting, he gave me some good advice:

  1. Use the job boards well: make sure you're on the right ones (CWJobs, Reed, LinkedIn); update your profile regularly so you stay at the top of searches; make sure you hit the keywords of the jobs you're looking for
  2. Research local companies and target ones that I'm interested in; see if they have roles that suit me
  3. Provided some feedback on my CV, including making my academic background a little more prominent


All up, it probably took an hour of his time; but two of those three pieces of advice worked together to get me a job a few weeks later.

No comments: