Wednesday 9 May 2018

Writing for the Job

A major part of my professional life over the past few years has been writing proposals in response to Tenders (the dreaded RFP/RFQ/RFI processes). What learnt from that process is remarkably relevant for completing job applications. I was always told to customise your CV for each role; and I can now see much more clearly how to do that.

Today, most applications I'm looking at give me the opportunity to attach a file - normally my CV. The big job-hunting sites typically allow me to use a saved CV or to upload a new one. I (almost always) upload a new one. Some things I think about when doing that:

  • I start with a good CV - there are sites and services that can provide plenty of advice on that. The usual guidelines - keep it brief, focus on achievements, describe the value I bring to employers - are all good guidelines.
  • I read the job description carefully. I normally have it open next to the document I'm working on. Read it several times - looking for key words and phrases. A few job descriptions are genuinely boiler-plate documents that could refer to almost any role. But most have some sort of signs as to what makes the role different.
  • I carefully evaluate the description against my skills and desires. Some jobs stand out - and look exciting. Some look fairly bland. Some look quite un-interesting. This doesn't always tell you everything. For example, "Senior Manager - Data Lead" turned out to be a role in a new and exciting analytics team at one of the world's best known companies.
  • I know my audience. Am I writing to the recruiter or the company? Is it a technically proficient reader or a more general audience.
  • I usually include a cover letter. Not every application process allows for this; but even if it doesn't, I'll often add a cover letter as the first page of my CV. This serves to high-light why I'm good at the job.
  • I pay attention to detail. Job titles, names, spelling, all of this is important. I've made mistakes here from time to time - but mostly, these are short documents and can be easily reviewed before submitting. Mistakes shouldn't happen.
  • I edit descriptions to make sure I emphasise what's in the job description - particular skills or experience. I'll often re-order lists of accomplishments or achievements to focus on what I understand the job to require. 
  • I echo the job description - repeating key words and phrases from the job description in my CV and cover letter. If the Job Description is asking for an, "ambassador for analytics" I don't rely on the reader to interpret, "a passionate advocate for using data top make decisions" as the same thing. I change the words to say I am an, "ambassador for analytics".
  • If I speak with a recruiter about a role and learn more about it, I take the opportunity to have another edit before the hiring manager sees my CV. It may not need much editing, but any improvement is worth the effort.

No comments: