Tuesday 8 May 2018

The Worst Experience

Probably the worst recruitment process was a year or two ago. I wasn't seriously looking, but I'd found a role that was interesting, so I applied. The recruiter called me, discussed the role, which sounded good. So I went through the process - the only warning was that the salary they wanted to offer was lower than I wanted to get.  This isn't a show stopper: and it's worth going into the recruitment even if you expect to negotiate towards the end.

Initially, it was pretty standard process - a CV, written for the job. A few questions. All very normal. The next conversation with the recruiter said they were interested, but needed some convincing - we had a few calls talking about the role and the process. I was fine with that: if I could get in front of them, I'd make my case as well as I could.  Then the card would fall as they may.

But instead of this,  I was asked to go through a number for recruitment tools: a psychometric test (that's quite normal) and a video of me explaining why is fit the role (that's less usual - I've never seen this before. Or since). If this was the process, then I'll go with it.  So I scripted up a presentation, filmed it (multiple takes, cutting a few versions together to get something good - I think few people, even in media, can deliver a long monologue flawlessly in one take).

So, I invested a reasonable amount of time and effort, I took the process seriously, and submitted the video and everything else they asked for. And then... nothing. No feedback, no email. The recruiter stopped taking/returning my calls.

I've dealt with a few recruiters now. When I fire in a CV, I'd like a response; but I don't always get one. I understand that some roles get hundreds of CVs, so this happens. But once the recruiter' s engaged with me, I'd like a little feedback. Even if it's just: they're not interested in you. And to be fair, most do that - and plenty have been excellent.

But not all do - and when you've asked someone to invest time and effort into a process, a simple courtesy of, "Thanks,  but no thanks" wouldn't go amiss.

No comments: